made in St. Petersburg between 1899 and 1904.
This gold mounted egg-shaped pendant is made from two carved pieces of bloodstone (heliotrope – a dark green variety of jasper with red inclusions of hematite resembling blood spots). The two halves are separated by a faceted rock crystal band.
Marked with 56 zolotnik old Russian gold standard (14K) with initials of St. Petersburg assay master Yakov Liapunov (ЯЛ) and maker’s initials.
Length without suspension ring 19 mm (2/3 in.)