Austria, Vienna, circa 1880
A very fine quality, 14K gold hollow cross pendant is centered with a 5 mm old rose cut diamond. The arms of the cross are embellished with twisted gold wires (filigree) and granulations. These embellishments reflect ancient Greco-Roman goldsmith techniques which became popular in jewelry that was being made at the time (1860 – 1880s). This revival style is known today as the Etruscan or Archaeological Revival.
The cross is marked on the suspension ring with Austrian / Vienna fox’s head assay mark for the 4th gold standard. The lower arm of the cross is marked on back with maker’s mark.
Total length with bail 75 mm (3 in.)
Width 40 mm (1 9/16 in.)
Weight 11.49 grams
Sold without chain.