late 1790s – early 1800s.
This rare Napoleonic era openwork 18K gold plaque is designed as a spray of flowers embellished with flat cut garnets. The plaque could be worn as a necklace or a diadem – tiara. When worn upside down as a necklace, the scrolling design resembles a tail of an exotic bird.
The garnet plaque is almost certainly of French origin. The 14K gold chain is circa 1880. It was made in Vienna and is marked with fox’s head assay mark.
The gilded silver headband is a modern replacement.
The garnet plaque is 90 mm (3 5/8 in.) wide and 50 mm (2 in.) high.
Length of the chain is 286 mm (11 1/4 in.)