An Antique Russian Imperial Porcelain Military Plate 1882
The center is painted with cavalry officers of three Life Guard regiments of the 2nd Cavalry Division wearing the uniforms from the reign of Tsar Alexander II.
The polished gold border is decorated with an etched matte gold Russian double headed eagle and a ribbon-tied laurel & oak wreath.
Such decorative plates depicting units of the Russian Imperial army were produced at the Imperial Porcelain Factory in St. Petersburg from circa 1829 until 1913.
It is believed that only two plates of every kind were made – one for the Emperor and another for the Heir to the Throne.
The majority of the military plates from the Imperial palaces were sold to the West by the Soviet Government in the 1920s-1930s.
Diameter 9 7/8 in. (25 cm)
Inscription on the back reads:
2nd Cavalry Division
2nd Life Guard Pskov Dragoon Regiment of Her Majesty
2nd Life Guard Curland Uhlan Regiment of His Majesty
2nd Life Guard Pavlograd Hussar Regiment of His Majesty
After the paintings by Sharleman
a green factory mark in the form of Tsar Alexander III cipher