An antique Russian Imperial military award badge for service in the Caucasus. The badge was given to officers who served during the 1859-1864 campaign in the Caucasus.
Regular officer’s badges were made in silver. Handmade badges with gold embellishments were intended for higher ranks.
The badge is designed as an oxidized textured silver cross with gold borders and gold center medallion with a hand-engraved silver Imperial double headed eagle. The cross is laid on two crossed gold swords. The center medallion is flanked by gold inscription in Old Slavonic script: FOR SERVICE IN THE CAUCASUS. The upper arm of the cross is embellished with a gold cipher of Tsar Alexander II, the lower arm – with the date ‘1864’ in gold.
Width 49 mm (1 15/16 in.)
Weight 23.30 grams